MEET TO FLY
Ballooning Canterbury provides a unique experience as guests have a bird’s eye view of the stunning Canterbury landscape as the sun rises.
Below are some interesting facts about hot air balloons and the origins of this method of travel.
- Hot air balloons were invented in France in 1783.
- It was discovered that a fabric bag filled with hot air would rise.
- Initially balloons without passengers were sent up.
- The first passengers in a hot air balloon were a sheep, duck and a rooster.
- The first manned balloon flight travelled over Paris for 5.5 miles. It stayed airborne for 23 minutes. This was the first attempt made by man to fly. Bravo!
- The hot air balloon is the oldest form of human flight.
Hot air balloons are simple flying machines and are made up of three components:
- an envelope